Friday, February 7, 2020

Why is Joseph Smith’s mission important to me?





When I read through the YW and Aaronic Priesthood lesson for Sunday, I was stopped up by the question it posed, “How did you gain your testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith?” I thought for a long time and realized that I’ve never really had a huge moment where I just knew. My testimony of Joseph Smith, much like my testimony of the gospel in general, has come to me piece by piece, as if I were putting together a puzzle.

My puzzle definitely still has many missing pieces, but the more I read and study, the more the pieces fall into place. When I was younger, I used to feel like I might be broken or missing something important, when I didn’t feel anything big or earth shattering when others around me were visibly moved by the spirit. It took me many years to understand that tears and emotion are not generally how I feel the spirit and that’s okay. For me, it’s much more subtle--more like just a sense that that concept makes sense to me.

When I talk to my kids and teach youth classes, I like to make sure that they know that different people feel the spirit in different ways, and that’s totally okay. I don’t ever want a young person to wonder if they have a testimony just because they don’t cry or feel anything huge. Also, I want them to know that it’s not only okay, but completely normal to still have missing pieces of that testimony puzzle. You don’t have to know everything to have a testimony. In fact, I don’t believe there’s a person alive whose testimony is perfect. We all wonder about some things that don’t make sense to us and that’s okay, as long as we don’t focus so much on those missing pieces that it distracts us from the things we do know.


“When problems come and questions arise, do not start your quest for faith by saying how much you do not have, leading as it were with your “unbelief.” That is like trying to stuff a turkey through the beak! Let me be clear on this point: I am not asking you to pretend to faith you do not have. I am asking you to be true to the faith you do have."   
Jeffrey R. Holland


One of the other things I feel like we need to talk about in our class are some of the lessons we learn from the First Vision. It really was a remarkable event that changed so much of what we knew about God. And it’s many of those lessons that are a foundational part of my testimony. Is there anything you’d add to this list?


     1. We learn the Heavenly Father and Jesus are separate beings.
     2. We learn that Heavenly Father and Jesus have a body of flesh and bones.
     3.  We learn that we can be influenced by Satan.
     4.  We learn that prayers are answered and God knows us by name.
     5.  We learn that answers come by exercising faith.
     6.  We learn that the true church had been taken from the earth and had not been restored yet.
     7.  We learn that Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead and still lives.
     8.  We learn that the scriptures provide guidance and answers for us.
     9.  We learn that God’s power is stronger than Satan’s.



The class I’m teaching is young, but I’m hopeful we can have a good discussion about testimonies, Joseph Smith, and his mission. Though we know that Joseph Smith was not perfect, his mission definitely was divine.


“Though Joseph was young and inexperienced, he had been foreordained from before the foundation of the world to be God’s prophet at this particular time. Joseph was tutored, trained, and prepared by heavenly beings." 
Russell M. Nelson

One more thing I just discovered that I want to talk about in our class too...check out Page 15 in the February 2020 edition of the "New Era".     "A Pattern for Seeking Truth" is a great way to apply what we learn about Joseph Smith to our daily lives. And isn't that what learning the gospel is all about?  Seeking truth, and then making it mean something in our everyday life. 



*******************************


3 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have been thinking about this lesson for over a week and was lacking inspiration but I think I have a direction now. I LOVE the idea of looking at the First Vision and all that we learn from that one event in Joseph's life.

Anonymous said...

I am going to use this for my lesson thank you. Ar. Priestood asked me to and this is my last minute perfect help. It's this morning!

Lara said...

Thank you for your comments, Jess and Anonymous! I'm glad that you were able to find some insights to share with your classes here. :)