Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day 2020

Happy Valentine’s Day to all you dear blog readers!

Are we the only ones out there that aren’t that into Valentine’s Day? When the kids were little, we’d always make the mailbox and send the kids to school with a bag full of valentines to give to their friends.

Awwww, she's so little! 💕 

Sometimes, if it was the weekend, and Glen happened to not have to work late, we would go out for dinner or something. And maybe, just maybe, I might make cookies or buy some candy, but that involves forethought, so that didn’t usually happen either! Historically Valentine’s Day at our house usually ends up looking a lot like every other day with an extra big mess from the valentines’ haul they’d bring home from school. Haha.
2012 Valentine making
 
Today we are being a little more festive than usual. Adam is delivering bucketloads of sugar cookies that he made as a way to raise money for his HEFY trip to Guatemala this summer. He’s a cookie baking whiz kid and it’s his treats I miss most when I’m cutting down on sugar, especially when those cookies are sitting around the house all week. Cookies (and cookie dough) have always been my very favorite dessert. 😜 I am eating sugar today though, so you better believe I ordered a couple of those cookies for me!




This year I even sent a bunch of valentines out to my kids that live far away, as well as my siblings, nieces, and nephews. I counted up over 30 valentines that I sent! Crazy, huh? I’ve always loved conveying my love through the mail and now that it’s such a rare thing to send non-digital greetings, I’m even more obsessed with making sure my loved ones get a token of that love from me in a tangible form they can hold and put in their rooms to see and remember. For most things, I really like my positive feedback, but in this case I don’t really care about receiving anything back; I just like hearing that they’ve received it and it’s made them smile. Of course, I do love the occasional piece of personal mail I may receive too, but it’s so infrequent that I don’t hold my breath for it. Haha!

 
We did get one valentine in the mail this year....thanks, AnnaLisa!


Tonight the kids will go to a multi-stake Valentine’s dance. Our stake in Virginia had dances once or twice a month, so they’ve been missing regular dances since we moved here and they are looking forward to it! The dance is about an hour away from here, so I’m hoping Glen will get off early enough that we can drive together and perhaps even sneak off for a date while they are at the dance. His work has been pretty stressful lately though, so we’ll see…


Speaking of Glen...I am grateful for my valentine! This will be our 27th Valentine’s Day together and though we don’t make a big deal out of it, I do want to take this opportunity to say how thankful I am for his patience and unwavering support with whatever endeavor I set my mind to! Marriage often ends up being a walk through muck and mess, more than a walk in the park, but I'm grateful for Glen to be my walking buddy through whatever mess we're wading through!



Happy Valentine's Day! May your day be filled with warm hugs from those you love, a full mailbox (or texting inbox), and a good dose of chocolate! 💖





No comments: