Friday, October 3, 2008

How to be happier person...

I've never considered myself a naturally creative person, but over the years I've gone through many creative "phases". Sewing, recipe collecting, crocheting, cross stitching, scrapbooking, FHE lesson making, card making, blogging, etc. have all occupied many hours of my time. I'm not that great at any of them, but I have found a great sense of satisfaction as my skills have improved with practice and I love the feeling of accomplishment when I actually finish my project and have this new creation before me that didn't exist a few hours before.

I've thought a lot about why I thrive on this "extra" part of my life, and I've decided that it has to do with the fact that there aren't many other things in my life ever finish. Every day I cook, clean, do laundry, help the kids, drive people around, and pay bills, just to wake up and do it all again the next day. Don't interpret this statement as complaint, I'm merely saying that sometimes it's a little frustrating to have things undone so quickly after I've done it.

There have been many times in our married life when I'm sure that Glen thought I was some kind of sick masochist for the stress I put myself through to complete a project before a deadline (usually self-imposed deadline), but somehow at the end it's always been worth it to me...adrenaline, lack of sleep, messy house, and all!

[Like these fun cards that I popped out this week for card club--totally worth it!]

So I found it so interesting when President Uchtdorf spoke about this very thing in Women's Conference last week. I felt like he expressed this yearning inside of me better than I ever could myself...

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before...Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children."

So I'm not crazy! I've just recognized that I'm a happier, better person/wife/mother when I have a creative outlet in my life!

So thanks for bearing with me while I hone my latest creative phase...this blog!

7 comments:

Denise said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way Lara!

Clarinda said...

Thanks for this post! I also really enjoy Pres Uchtdorf's talk. I especially like the part that followed this. I don't have the exact quotation, but something about we all have the ability to be creative, because we are daughters of THE most creative being. I'd never thought of Heavenly Father that way before, but it is true.

P.S. I love reading your latest creative phase. :-)

Charlene said...

I loved hearing President Uchtdorfs talk and I appreciate you sharing what so many of us feel too.

Anonymous said...

As the recipients of your creativity, Mom and I are not only delighted, but thrilled to see the artistry in you.

Creativity does not run naturally in either side of the family-so it is not something you inherited, but truly a great gift that you have worked hard at and personalized.

We are proud of you and your gift and grateful everytime we see one of your creations.

Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I wish I could participate more in your many expressions of creativity (as I am sure you wish for the same)! Being probably the biggest beneficiary of that creativity though, leave no doubt that your many gifts in this area are appreciated and inspiring. I know where I can go to get a little uplifting during a hard day!

I love you!!!!

annalisa said...

i know i already told you this, but this blogpost and some things said in conference yesterday made me go on a card-making spree in between sessions. it was fun! thanks for the inspiration!

Mirien said...

Lara--I have to comment on your blog after lurking over your posts for the past hour. I am your sister-in-law Karey's cousin and I've visited your Recipe Shoebox blog because of Karey. I've tried a couple of your recipes and have said to myself, "I think I have a lot in common with Lara." I love to cook, I am known in my family for being frugal, I have 6 kids (3 mos to 15 years), I am the oldest of a large family, I grew up in the midwest, etc. But it was this post that clinched it. I could have written it (though probably not as well) because I felt exactly the same way! In fact, I had a very similar post written in my head but it never made it to the computer. I am new to blogging, but you have inspired me to keep going. Hope it doesn't bother you to have a stranger check your blog--you're welcome to take a look at mine. http://mbchurch2.blogspot.com/